Animal Law Enforcement FAQ

What can I do about a neighbor’s barking dog?

Contact Animal Law Enforcement at 719-473-1741 with barking dog's address.

If no complaints have previously been made there are 2 options:
1. Animal Law Enforcement can send a letter in the mail advising the pet owner of the barking complaint or
2. Animal Law Enforcement can dispatch an officer to issue a written warning giving the pet owner 72 hours from the date the warning was issued to abate the noise. The written warning requires the eye witness be identified by name only on the notice issued to the pet owner. Once the written warning has been issued any further complaints must be a signed complaint. The signed complaint is a penalty assessment or summons to court and requires corroborating evidence.

Why am I required to give my name/address for a noisy pet complaint?

In order for a written warning to be issued the law requires an Animal Law Enforcement Officer to identify the eye witness by name to the pet owner. The law also requires the Officer verify that the eye witness is within 500 feet of the nuisance animal.

I own a dog in order to protect my house. Is there a time when my dog is allowed to be barking?

No. Any unprovoked and persistent barking during any time of the day or night that disturbs the peace and quiet of the neighborhood is unlawful.

Do I have to license my cat even though she never goes outside?

In the city of Colorado Springs yes, but not in any other area of  El Paso County.

My neighbor’s dog is always loose. What can I do?

Call animal law enforcement whenever the dog is currently at large and an office will patrol for the dog. If the dog is not currently at large and the pet owner's location is known the eye witness can request a warning letter be sent to the pet owner's address, or the eye witness may sign a complaint against the pet owner and a penalty assessment or summons to court will be issued. Evidence produces stronger cases, but not required.

Where are the Off-Leash parks?

We are fortunate to live in a very pet-friendly region. There are many off-leash dog parks within our communities. Click here for a list of off-leash dog parks in Colorado.

Who do I call for dead animal removal?

  • Colorado Springs Road Department (719) 385-5934
  • El Paso County Road Department (719) 520-6460
  • Pueblo Animal Law Enforcement (719) 544-3005
  • Centennial Public Works (303) 325-8000
  • For dead animal removal on public streets in Douglas County, call Douglas County Sheriff Office (303) 660-7500
  • For dead animal removal on Highways or Interstates in Douglas County, call Colorado Department of Transportation (303) 757-9514

What do I do with my deceased animal?

A deceased animal can be taken to your local veterinarian or to your local animal shelter for disposal. We recommend that you contact your veterinarian or the animal shelter before transporting the animals so that they may answer any questions you may have.

What do I do if I found or lost a pet?

When your beloved dog or cat strays, it can be a traumatic experience. It is important that you go to your local animal shelter and look through the kennels to see if your missing companion has been turned in or picked up. If you do not see your pet there, be certain to fill out a lost report. Most shelters also have a website on which you can search through impounded animals so make certain that you check regularly.

Remember that proper and accurate identification is critical in assisting with getting your pet back home. Be sure that your contact information on your pet's license and microchip are up to date as sometimes updating such information is easily forgotten during a move.

What do I do if my dog is missing?

Come into HSPPR during business hours to check if your pet is at the shelter, and if not search found reports. If your pet is not found, fill out a lost report and monitor HSPPR.ORG and continue to check the shelter.

Who do I call for vet care/vaccinations?

We encourage you to establish a relationship with a veterinarian. You can find a list of HSPPR veterinary partners here. Additionally, HSPPR offers routine vaccinations and spay/neuter services. Click here for appointment information.

Do you administer vaccinations/perform surgeries for my pet?

HSPPR offers routine vaccinations and spay/neuter services. Click here for appointment information.

Are pit bulls legal?

There are no breed bans in El Paso or Pueblo counties.

Are chickens legal? How many can I have?

Yes, chickens are legal in all of El Paso County.

Colorado Springs: 10 chickens, no roosters.
Fountain: 10 chickens.
Monument: 6 chickens in R1 and R2 zones only.
County Leash Law areas:  A reasonable number of chickens are allow', but no roosters enforced by county zoning.
Out of leash law area: No maximum # and roosters are allowed. Enforced by county zoning.

What is considered adequate shelter?

A structure that has 3 sides, roof, floor and is of adequate size and build to protect from the elements.


What can I do about stray cats on my property?

Stray cats can be humanely trapped and brought into HSPPR. HSPPR does rent out traps for a refundable deposit of $65.

What do I do if there is a skunk/bat/snake or other wildlife on my property?

Please do not attempt to touch any wild animal.

HSPPR is not licensed to accept wildlife. Contact a pest control company for removal or Colorado Parks and Wildlife for other questions.

If you or your pet had an encounter with a wild animal, such as a bat or skunk, or if a person has been bitten by a domestic animal, click here to report an animal bite to the health department. This is a matter of public health and safety and must be taken seriously. Be sure to contact your health care provider as soon as possible.

How should I prepare my pets for emergencies and disasters?

Making a plan for your pets in case of an unexpected emergency or disaster is an important step to take as a responsible pet owner. Click here for tips from FEMA or watch the video clip below to learn more.

What are the procedures for an animal bite? (El Paso County)

To report a dangerous/aggressive animal situation involving a domestic pet, call Animal Law Enforcement at 719.302.8798 or call 911. If you are active military, contact law enforcement on your base/post.

If you or your pet had an encounter with a wild animal, such as a bat or skunk, or if a person has been bitten by a domestic animal, click here to report an animal bite to the health department. This is a matter of public health and safety and must be taken seriously. Be sure to contact your health care provider as soon as possible.

To file a criminal complaint about an aggressive domesticated animal, call Animal Law Enforcement at 719.302.8798.

HSPPR DOES NOT provide rabies testing or bite quarantine services and will not accept an animal that has bitten in the last 10 days. Additionally, HSPPR is not licensed to accept wildlife.


What can I do about my pet’s behavioral problems?

Patience and consistency are the keys to successful training and behavior modification, but you must start with good information. We strongly recommend dog obedience lessons for all canines, beginning from puppy-hood. Many excellent trainers work in this area. Consult local dog obedience clubs or contact breed or dog clubs for recommendations. Consult local cat clubs or your veterinarian about behavior modification for cats.

Most pets turned in to shelters are relinquished because of behavior problems, many of which are minor in nature and easily corrected. If you are going to be a responsible pet owner, you must be prepared to take the time to train your pet and maintain that training. Training makes your pet easier to live with, happier, better adjusted and a welcome community member.

How long do you hold animals after impounding them?

Municipal ordinances require that stray dogs are held a minimum of 5 days and cats a minimum of 3 days to give their owners a chance to claim them. Licensing your pet and having your pet microchipped mean we can reunite you with him faster. After the stray hold period, the pet may be available for adoption.