Where are impounded animals housed?
The Dumb Friends League’s Buddy Center is the designated Douglas County Animal Shelter. Animals impounded by Douglas County Animal Law Enforcement are transported to this facility where they will be cared for until reclaimed by their owner. In the event that the owner cannot be located, the Buddy Center will then attempt to adopt the animal into a new loving home.
If your pet is impounded by Douglas County Animal Law Enforcement, you will need to go to 4556 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80104, during business hours which are Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Weekends 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (closed holidays). You can also call Animal Law Enforcement at (303) 660-7529 or the Buddy Center at (303) 751-5772 during business hours for more information.
What do I need to bring with me in order to pick up my pet?
- A drivers license or ID with your current address
- If your address is not current you will need to bring something with your name and current address, such as a utility or phone bill
- Acceptable methods of payment for the impound fees include: cash, Visa or MasterCard, and debit cards. Checks are not accepted.
- Acceptable proof of ownership including: veterinary records, photograph, registration information, adoption paperwork, or some other accepted proof that you are the legal owner of the animal.
- Proof of a current pet license and rabies vaccination. If you do not have proof of these, you will be required to purchase them.
What are the fees?
- Impound fee of $50
- A daily board fee of $5 for each day that your pet is housed, including the day it is picked up and the day it goes home.
- Acceptable methods of payment include: cash, Visa or MasterCard, American Express and debit cards.
- Example – If your dog is running loose you will pay the impound fee ($50) plus the ($5 boarding fee per day) and be issued a ticked for Leash Law violation at the time you pick up your pet.
- Total for one (1) day $55 plus the fine listed on the citation.
- In addition to the above fees, a citation** may be issued by an Animal Law Enforcement Officer. If you are experiencing difficulty in keeping your pet confined and need assistance, please click here to submit a request to the Denver Dumb Friends League Behavior Helpline.
** If you are issued a citation for any animal violation, you will not be able to pay the citation at the Animal Shelter, you will need to mail or appear in person to pay the fine at the address listed on the violation.