Volunteers are at the heart of making Pueblo Animal Services (PAS) a compassionate and caring organization, contributing thousands of hours in support of over 6,000 lost and unwanted animals each year that come through our doors in need of shelter and care.
As a private, non-profit organization we rely heavily on the assistance of our caring, dedicated and hard-working volunteers to achieve our important mission of a compassionate society where animals are cared for and valued. Our volunteers work side-by-side with shelter staff, and provide much needed assistance with those programs that improve the quality of life for all of our temporary residents. They allow us to achieve excellence in all that we do for the animals, making the community a better place for both people and pets.
Our volunteers work side-by-side with shelter staff, and provide much needed assistance with those programs that improve the quality of life for all of our temporary residents. They allow us to achieve excellence in all that we do for the animals, making the community a better place for both people and pets.
If you are interested in becoming a part of our incredible team of volunteers, fill out a Volunteer Application to get started!
“We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
- A willingness to make a minimum commitment of 30 hours annually, depending on your specific position, and an ongoing commitment to be prompt and dependable
- A willingness to abide by the philosophies and policies of Pueblo Animal Services, as well as conducting yourself in a professional manner while representing the organization
* Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate court-ordered community service individuals at this time.
Volunteer Age Requirements
- Individuals must be at least 17 years old to volunteer at PAS on their own Youth volunteers between the age of 12-16 years must provide their own adult partner to accompany them at all times while volunteering
- Not old enough to volunteer yet? Check out these projects you can do at home to still help our many animals by fundraising, making homemade dog treats, creating cat toys, and much more!
- Our Foster Program also allows volunteers of any age to care for our homeless animals outside of the shelter, as well as earn community service hours – an adult partner at least 21 years of age in the same household must be a part of the volunteer team when participating as a Foster Provider. This is an extremely rewarding family endeavor!
Steps to Becoming A Volunteer
Step 1: Complete a Volunteer Application.
All prospective volunteers must complete our general application prior to attending an orientation. Please include an email address, as this is our primary method of official-communication with our volunteers.
Step 2: Sign-up for and attend a Volunteer Orientation.
After submitting an application, each new volunteer is required to attend an upcoming orientation prior to volunteering. Registration is required and space is limited. If you are volunteering as an adult/youth team, each individual must be registered to attend and complete applications ahead of time. All of our orientations provide general information about our facility and the volunteer opportunities we have available, as well as going over canine and feline body language, shelter disease control and providing a tour of our state of the art facility! Following the orientation, your next step will depend on the job you choose to volunteer for, but job-specific signups will be readily available.
Step 3: Attend Job-Specific Training
Following the orientation, you will need to schedule a training session to prepare you for your volunteer position. Some positions may include classroom or on-the-job training, and generally last two hours. We make every effort to place volunteers in their primary area(s) of interest, but shelter needs may vary based on your own schedule and availability.
Step 4: Volunteer!
We believe working with the shelter animals is a very rewarding experience, and we hope that you are as excited to sign-up for shifts at PAS as we are to have you as part of our team!
If you still have any questions about volunteering, contact the Volunteer Coordinator by email or by calling 719.404.5415 for more information on how you can help homeless animals in need!