Laws & Ordinances

Below are direct links to the Codes and Resolutions in El Paso County as well as the Colorado Revised Statutes pertaining to animals which the ALE Department also enforces in all of the communities served.  This information is being provided as a convenience for citizens.  The Animal Law Enforcement Department strives to keep this information current but does not guarantee its accuracy and citizens should always check with their local jurisdiction to ensure they have the most complete and accurate information available.

El Paso County

Colorado Springs City Code - reference the following:

  • Chapter 6 Neighborhood Vitality /Community Health
  • Article 7 – 11 Regulation of Animals


View El Paso County Law

El Paso County Animal Control Resolutions only apply to the areas indicated in green on map.

Fountain Municipal Code - reference the following:

  • Title 6 Regulation of Animals
  • Pages 186-204 (as numbered in the document)

Monument Municipal Code- reference the following:

  • Title 6 Animals

Colorado State Statues - reference the following:

  • Title 18 Criminal Code
  • Article 9 Offenses Against Public Peace, Order and Decency
  • Part 2 Cruelty to Animals

Manitou Springs Statues - reference the following:

  • Title 7 - ANIMALS  


How Many Animals Can I Own?

City of Colorado Springs:
You may own up to 4 adult dogs and 4 adult cats.

Unincorporated El Paso County:
You may own up to 4 adult dogs or cats* in combination.  For example you can own 4 dogs or  4 cats or 2 dogs and 2 cats, etc.

El Paso County: Four (4) adult dogs or cats*, or a combination of each up to four at one residence except in properly zoned areas. An adult dog or cat is defined as a dog or cat that is four months of age or older. For further information on zoning, contact 719.520.6300 or click here.

City of Fountain: If you live in a single family detached home, you may own up to 6 dogs or cats in combination with no more than 4 adults dog*.  If you share a common wall you can own up to 2 dogs or cats in combination. City of Fountain 6.02.040 (F)

Town of Monument: You may own up to 6 adult dogs or cats* in combination. For example you can own 6 dogs, 6 cats, 4 dogs and 2 cats, 3 dogs and 3 cats etc. Town of Monument 17.04.050 Definitions

*Adult animal is any dog or cat over the age of four (4) months. 
*There may be exceptions to the number of animals you can legally owned.  These exceptions will vary by jurisdiction.  Should you be interested in pursuing an exception please consult your City or County Code and contact your local Code Enforcement/Zoning Department. 
*Your local jurisdiction may also allow you to own other pet animals such as pot belly pigs, fowl (chickens, ducks, etc.), or certain hoofed animals.  Please consult your City or County Code and contract your local Code Enforcement/Zoning Department to inquire further.