More than just bling

Pet Licensing

The tag hanging off my collar is for more than just good looks. Being licensed means that if I ever got lost or if there’s an emergency, I can be reunited with my family.

More than a shelter
woman law enforcement officer holding small white and gray dog

Pet licenses

HSPPR has partnered with DocuPet to provide an enhanced pet licensing experience for residents. Your pet’s license now includes DocuPet’s free HomeSafe™ 24/7 lost pet service and designer license tags with personalization options. Additionally, 20% of every designer tag purchase is donated to HSPPR through DocuPet’s Safe&Happy Fund.

When you register your pet with HSPPR, you will receive a unique license tag to attach to their collar. Our new licensing process with DocuPet allows residents to select a standard license tag at no additional charge or upgrade to one of DocuPet’s colorful designer tag styles for an additional fee.


Pet owners may license their pet online! The new, easy-to-use online licensing service provides a quick and seamless way to license your pet from the comfort of your own home.

By mail

You can also print a licensing form and make payment in person at one of our campus locations during regular business hours.

Update rabies information

Have you been issued a temporary license and need to provide us with your pet’s rabies vaccination information? You can email it to, or submit it online.

Benefits of licensing

Hundreds of lost pets never had to make the shelter their home this year because officers reunited them directly with their families. How? Simply because they had a current license on file. Make sure your pet can find his way back to you in an emergency.  

animal law enforcement officer getting kisses from large gray dog
The bling on your pet’s collar is one perk, but here are some additional benefits of your DocuPet online profile.

Frequently asked questions

Licensing is required by law in most jurisdictions, but those requirements depend on where you live. This map shows the current areas where licensing is required in El Paso County. All of Pueblo County requires licensing See below for more information on licensing and pricing based on your municipality.

Licensing can be done online, over the phone by calling 1-877-239-6072, via mail, or in person at one of our locations. Many local veterinarians also offer licensing during your pet’s visit.

Be sure to have your pet’s rabies certificate and proof of spay/neuter (if applicable). Copies can be obtained from your veterinarian. Payment via Visa or MasterCard is accepted online, or via check by mail/in person.

Licensing requirements still apply to service animals, however, the license fee is waived if the dog meets ADA guidelines for a service dog. Falsely representing an animal as a service animal is illegal under Colorado law.

If you gave your pet away or your pet is deceased, you can update your record online. You may also call 1-877-239-6072.

In the Pikes Peak Region, having a pet license is required by law. Beyond having your pet be a law-abiding citizen, a license can help reunite a lost pet in the field, preventing them from ever needing to enter the shelter. A microchip can also do this, however, microchip information is sometimes not up-to-date, leading our lost and found team to a dead end when tracking down an owner. Licenses are required to be updated annually or every 3 years, which helps ensure information is kept current.  

Licensing requirements

El Paso County

City of Colorado Springs 

all dogs and cats over the age of 4 months

City of Fountain
all dogs over the age of 4 months; cat licensing is strongly encouraged

City of Manitou Springs
all dogs and cats over the age of 4 months

El Paso County
licensing requirements apply to county residents living outside of city limits but within designated resolution areas – all dogs over the age of 4 months; cat licensing is strongly encouraged

Town of Monument
all dogs over the age of 4 months; cat licensing is strongly encouraged

  • 1-Year $20
  • 3-Year $40
  • 1-Year $35
  • 3-Year $75
Senior citizens (age 65+)
  • 1-Year $10
  • 3-Year $25
  • 1-Year $20
  • 3-Year $55
Late fee of $20 applies 30 days after expiration.
Additional Annual Registration & Permit Requirements 2023
  • Exotic Animal Permit $75
  • Hoofed Pet Registration (one-time fee) $75
  • Pigeon Loft Permit $75

Pueblo County

City of Pueblo
all dogs and cats over the age of 4 months

Pueblo County
all dogs and cats over the age of 4 months

  • 1-Year $12
  • 3-Year $33
  • 1-Year $25
  • 3-Year $65
Late fees may apply.

City of Centennial

Please visit the City of Centennial for licensing requirements and fees.